I love corbels. They can add such elegance to any space, but OH MY they are expensive. I really wanted a set of corbels for my newly designed living room. How did I remedy my want (corbels)/need (more cash to afford them) dilemma? I decided to make them myself {chuckles...with the help of my DH, Darling Husband}. They really aren't that difficult. Just have a little patience.
Here is what you do:
1. Go online and find a corbel
or design of one that you really love.
Then trace it onto graph paper.
Or print it if your corbel is small enough.
|
2. Go to your big box store, Home Depot or Lowes,
and find some culled wood in the width you need.
This is where you may need patience.
3. Trace out your design onto your wood.
Use the same template to trace each one out
so they will all end up the same sizes.
4. Cut them out with a jig saw {this is where DH comes in handy}.
|
5. Glue and nail separate pieces together,
for the thickness you want.
Corbels are usually chunky.
6. Use wood filler to fill up the holes.
|
7. Paint or stain. I chose to use Minwax
water based white washed pickling.
The wood filler shows through, but I love
that is has an old world, rustic, weathered look to it.
|
8. Hang on your wall. Make sure the shelf will be level.
You will need something like these babies for strength.
TRUST ME...Do not skimp on these.
|
| And be sure that you make your family eat on the floor while your painted corbels are drying on the kitchen table {chuckles}. Yes, Kate always uses a table cloth. |
This whole project cost under $20. I just love how looks and adds that special charm that I was wanting. And they nicely display all my junk! Tell me how your corbel project goes. I'd love to see.
Simply SophistiKate,
Me
No comments:
Post a Comment
I'd love to hear from you!