Saturday, February 25, 2012

Book Page Starburst

This is a project I have been wanting to try for a very long while.  It really only took me an hour and a half to do.  While my kids watched Disney's Mulan upstairs, I started and completed this project.  By the time the movie was finished, so was I.  It really is a pretty little thing.  Here are step by step instructions of how to do it. 

Here's what you'll need:
1.  An old book.  GASP!  I know.  But this one was in a lanuage I didn't even know.
2.  A round piece of cardboard.  One from a frozen pizza will work, but possibly messy.
3.  Something for the center.  This can be a small picture of anything.  Or you can use a little mirror like I did.  I got it from the dollar store.  It is actually a flat candle dish. 
4.  My favorite...a hot glue gun.
5.  Something to hang it from.  I used an old ribbon.


You will need a piece of cardboard and a compass to draw your cirlce. 
I would do at least 9" in diameter.


Then rip pages out of a book.  OUCH! 
I know, but it will be so pretty.
Roll the inside of the page over without creasing it. 
Then roll the other side over so the corner of the
page matches the corner where the two edges meet. 
Hold it and continue rolling the second side around
and glue the corner with a dab of hot glue.


Start placing the glued pages on in a North, South, East, West
fashion so you can keep the lines straight. 
Then keep adding a page to the middle of each set of two glued pages. 
Some may slightly overlap, but that's okay. 
It gives it more dimension that way. 
When you are finished with the first layer, add a
second layer the same way, just move it one inch inward.


When you have both layers, add your round picture or mirror. 
Hint:  If you get hot glue on you fingers, stick them in your mouth. 
Trust me, it will congeal the glue and stop the burning. 
I learned that the hard way.  Owee!

Add something to hang your creation by. 
I just used an old ribbon and glued it to the back. 


And that's it.  That was easy.  And not as painful as you thought it would be (Glue or book).  LOL!  I've hung mine up and love the charm it adds to my home.

1 comment:

  1. I love this Kathy! I am going to have to do this soon! I have some old books I bought just cause they were old somewhere but I do like the idea of a different language. Or maybe music...OOOHHHHHH

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!